Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oldtimer

On August 4, 2008, I will officially have been with my firm for ten years. I'll have spent an entire decade--all of my 30s--in the same office, basically with the same people. I started out as a legal neophyte fresh from a judicial clerkship in West Virginia, and although I'm always learning, I'm now a full-fledged member of the firm. It's a good, challenging job, and for the most part, I've enjoyed it. One of the perks has been working with people who are extremely bright; my boss, in particular, is a brilliant guy. Of course, work is hard, too; legal problems can sometime be difficult to resolve definitively. Often, there's no clear answer and you make an educated guess. And everyone knows the work-related difficulties of slogging through the daily grind or minding your manners when a colleague just doesn't play nice. There's been some of that, too. But mostly it's been positive. Plus all the free soda I could drink.

So I feel good about the last ten years. And to celebrate, I'm throwing the firm a pizza party.

No comments: