Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School

Summer passed quickly, and the kids are off to their first day of school this morning. They're still little, just five and seven, so I'm not feeling too nostalgic, but kindergarten is an especially big milestone for my five year-old. Except for the hideous task of packing lunches, I'm glad school is back in session. I like the routine and the projects.

I'll be very curious to see the makeup of my kindergartner's class. His pre-kindergarten class was seventeen boys and five girls. Yep, more than a 3:1 ratio. It was like a battlefield. The five girls basically huddled together in the play kitchen all year and ignored the unfolding insanity. At least two of them decided not to come back for kindergarten. During kindergarten orientation last Friday morning I'm sure I scared the parents of a new girl with my slightly hysterical enthusiasm, "A GIRL! That's WONDERFUL! And she's DEFINITELY COMING? I mean, FOR REAL? She'll just LOVE it here. I just LOVE GIRLS!" Their daughter was calmly cutting out a magazine picture for her locker, making sure to get it just right. And my testosterone-laden boy-child? Pounding up and down the wooden staircase right next to her parents' heads.

It should be interesting.

No comments: