Wednesday, December 3, 2008

House Elf

As my running partner A. and my husband know, I have a bit of an attitude problem this early Christmas season. Most of it is fallout from my taking on too much over the Thanksgiving holiday. (For instance, why make pumpkin pie from scratch when there's a perfectly serviceable version for $5.99 at the grocery store? Why have both a soup and a salad course in addition to the main Thanksgiving meal? Why did the cinnamon ice cream need to be homemade?) At any rate, I'm feeling a bit over-obligated and trying to muster enthusiasm for the upcoming holidays. When I worried aloud to a client and friend earlier this week about all the gift purchasing that needs to be done and how overwhelming it is and is buying stuff what Christmas is truly all about blah blah blah, she counseled me against using the whole Christmas anti-materialism shtick as a guise for doing nothing. She pointed out that there's a lot of joy that comes from selecting, wrapping, and giving gifts at Christmas, especially when children are involved. (She's right, of course.) She also advised me to spend time only on what's enjoyable and outsource the rest.

It was like a light bulb went off in my head: Outsourcing! Christmas tasks! Eureka! Some extra help could be just what I need. It's kind of like rolling a stalled car down a hill to help get it started--once there's a bit of progress, maybe my holiday spirit will kick in. Right?

So I'm in the market for a house elf. Among other duties, he/she/it will need to lug dusty Christmas stuff down from the attic, help decorate the tree and mantel, and bake cookies. Also, buy poinsettias, record Christmas music, and keep the fire going. Other mundane tasks will likely surface.

Know an elf looking for a job? Write to me here.

No comments: