Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Let's Be a Comfort to Each Other

Although I'm not generally a fan of GOOP, I found a bit of wisdom in a quote posted the other day from Shaikh Kabir Helminski:

"Thinking and speaking kind and positive thoughts, as much as possible, is like planting beautiful gardens around your house. Our spiritual work is to transcend the petty ego and assume the Divine perspective. Wise as serpents, innocent as doves, we discern the good from the bad, but we don’t indulge in blame or assume we have the right to judge the souls of others. Let the Cosmos and Karma handle that. Let’s be a comfort to each other."

I don't know about the wise-as-serpents-and-innocent-as-doves business. Or the Cosmos and the Karma. I have to put those in the category of "Things I Don't Even Try To Understand." But that last phrase struck me, and I've been thinking about it a lot. It sums up a constructive, gentle way of being. I like it.

And I agree--there's always time to plant beautiful gardens.

No comments: