Saturday, June 20, 2009

New Reads

Although I had high hopes of finishing One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez--I make an abortive effort at this every five years or so--today I snuck (sneaked?) out to my favorite bookstore for two new reads:



I'm afraid this does not bode well for Mr. Garcia Marquez, but for me, the Nobel prize winning Garcia Marquez oeuvre really needs to be force-fed via a graded class. And I'm past that, thank goodness.

Any modern fiction recommendations out there?

3 comments:

jon said...

I read 100 Yrs a few years ago, because it seemed like the thing to do. I made it all the way through without a problem, but I've always felt like I wasted my time. Magical realism seems like a neat idea, but I just couldn't get into the way he did it. Maybe it was just a complete lack of identifying or particularly liking the characters ... or plot.

Betsyallisontant said...

I've had the same struggle with 100 years. I just can't do it.

500Jerk said...

My mom tells me Love in the Time of Cholera is better. I may try that. In about five years.