Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Listen to This!

For several years now, AppyLove and I have been corresponding through our respective blogs, and although her posts and comments are always witty and thoughtful, I HONESTLY HAD NO IDEA she and her husband were so musically talented until she recently linked to a front-porch performance on this site.

I love their song, I'm Gone (the title is fitting actually, because Johnson City-based AppyLove and her husband are moving to Madison, Wisconsin). I'm Gone is exactly the kind of plaintive, harmony-laden Appalachian story-song that appeals most to me. Her husband's voice is a great match for hers, and you have to love the dog rolling around in the video's background.

Listen to this! If you like it, their band, Count This Penny, will be playing at the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion, which runs from September 17 through 19. I'm hopeful I can persuade the Spouse to roadtrip to Bristol with me (he's been out of sorts lately, maybe this will cheer him up). There's even a children's day and 5K associated with the music festival.

It's all good. Way to go, AppyLove!

UPDATE: Some coverage of I'm Gone by Count This Penny from the Knoxville News Sentinel, too!

1 comment:

AppyLove said...

Wow! I responded to your comments over at AL, but wanted to say thank you for the compliment here, too. I've been keeping up with Posy's new hairdo and the utter amazing-ness of your kiddos (retro candy?!? the best present ever) but haven't written in a while due to my zombie-like status in the midst of moving. We just missed you at Tomato Head--we were there last Tuesday night. Keep an eye on your email, though. And thank you so, so much for this boost (just when I sorely needed one).