Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Currently Reading: One Day by David Nicholls

I finally, FINALLY finished all 677 pages of The Once and Future King, thank the Lord, and have now turned to a lesser literary commitment: One Day by David Nicholls.

One Day tracks the relationship of a man and woman for two decades on a single day of each year. Do they get together? Do they find their life's purpose? The reader has to piece it together through these annual glimpses. I was telling a friend this weekend that I like novels with gimmicks, and this one fits the bill.


One Day
is decently written, poignant, and funny. I like the pace of it, and the characters are absorbing. But really, the thing I'm enjoying most about One Day is, IT'S NOT SO DAMN LONG.

3 comments:

kag said...

have you ever seen "Same Time Next Year?" It's got Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn? Same general premise, and it's awesome :-)

Jillian said...

That's on my to-read list. I'll be sure to bring it in as a reward after a heavier read. I will mentally cast Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

500Jerk said...

I think I maybe have seen Same Time Next Year, a long time ago. My love for Alan Alda started young, with MASH.

Jillian, I love Meg Ryan, but she has gotten so WEIRD looking, what with all the . . . work. I'm going with some lithe Johnny Depp-type and that cute little Emma Watson. I think One Day actually is going to be a movie, we'll see who's closer!