Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Grueling Labor of Waiting

A good friend went into labor early this morning, and I'm waiting for news of how she's doing and whether the baby is a boy or a girl. (She's one of those virtuous delayed-gratification types who keeps the baby's gender a surprise.) If it's a boy, it will be her third boy in five years. Although that will be absolutely wonderful, three boys in five years would indicate that the universe has a sense of humor. It would certainly make me giggle. And if it's a girl, that will also be absolutely wonderful, and I'll want to rush right out and buy the baby something pink. Because all her mother has are boy clothes, and those just won't do.

I don't want to call for obvious reasons, so I've called the hospital. Of course, the hospital can't give me any health information because their HIPAA attorney has emphatically told them again and again to keep patient information private. So I am trying to be patient. Patient and hopeful for good news. PATIENT (breathing deeply).

You can tell I knew my babies' gender at 20 weeks, can't you?

I think I'll check my e-mail again.

UPDATE: YEEHAW, IT'S A GIRL!!! WELCOME TO THE WORLD, LITTLE AVERY ELIZABETH!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting!

I never have the patience to wait until delivery day to find out what I am having.