Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Work-Life Balance FAIL

In hopes of discovering some measure of work-life balance, today I attended a Knoxville Bar Association work-life balance committee lunch. Most days I eat a peanut butter sandwich at my desk, so going out for lunch seemed like a good first step on the road to balance. Am I right? And the other lawyers on the committee were great--funny, smart, likable, all of the above. We ordered in salads, planned a bit, then laughed and commiserated. The whole thing took about 90 minutes.

That's N-I-N-E-T-Y MINUTES.

90!

Minutes!

In other words, 1.5 billable hours! The difference between waking up at 5:30AM and 7AM! The time it takes to read a Hemingway classic! A plane ride to Chicago! Most importantly, 90 additional minutes away from my family, who grow 90 minutes older every 90 minutes!

Although I do enjoy rousting myself to get out and see the larger world now and again, attending meetings on balance to achieve more balance is akin to that Zen koan about the sound of one hand clapping. Except my koan is, IN SEEKING BALANCE, BALANCE FURTHER ELUDES YOU, YOU SILLY FOOL.

And that, my friends, is the only wisdom on work-life balance I have to offer.

Now. I need to get billing.

No comments: