Monday, November 23, 2009

Parenting Highs and Lows

Skinny little Boy Wonder--who crawled into bed with me at 5AM Sunday to discuss who won the Tennessee game and what the final score was and whether Vanderbilt is even a good team, then happily confided he likes a good mom like me--has walking P-N-E-U-M-O-N-I-A. Yep. The chronic barking cough should have clued me in earlier, but five days of intermittent fever, headaches, and no appetite finally drove us to the doctor for a diagnosis today.

So--hurray! It's not swine flu and with antibiotics, Boy Wonder should be feeling better very soon. But boooooo--it shouldn't have taken me so long to get him diagnosed. He's been SO under the weather and just putting up with it with his usual good humor.

Poor Boy Wonder. It's hard to have a medicine-averse mama whose remedy for almost everything is sleep and hot chocolate. Really, sometimes only an antibiotic will do.

But at least there's one thing that can be said in my favor: If there's sports trivia to be discussed with an irresistible six year-old in the wee dawn hours, I'm game.

No comments: