Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tween vs. Lawyer Mama

At ten, Miss M is--how can I say this delicately?--very much becoming her own person. But because she is still so young, I am not nearly done parenting her, a fact that seems increasingly to annoy her. I do try to be respectful, but like all parents, have my (*ahem*) lapses. And I'm certainly not above a little gamesmanship, a character flaw that led to this conversation last night:

Me: Miss M, you need to go to bed now. Don't forget to brush your teeth!

Miss M (rolling eyes): I KNOW, Mom.

Me (peeved) : Listen, I'm trying to help you, so don't be a jerk about it.

Miss M: I'm not being a jerk.

Me: Yes, you are.

Miss M: No, I'm not.

Me: Yes, you are.

Miss M (hotly): No, I'm NOT.

Me: Yes, you are.

Miss M (changing tacks): You know, MOM, if you CALL people jerks, they act like jerks.

Me: HA! So, you admit, then, you ARE being a jerk.

Miss M (disgusted): *stomps off in huff (probably does not brush teeth)*

Domestic life has its comic moments, doesn't it? I'm thinking the next few years may provide me with plenty of material.

No comments: